Saturday 18 April 2015

Shakespeare of Stratford-Upon-Avon

Ah, William Shakespeare's birthplace - I simply cannot miss this visit living in London.

Early morning, I boarded the train to Dorridge and transferred to the Stratford-Upon-Avon train from there.
(It's faster to transfer than to take a direct train.)

The trip duration was just a little over two hours.


This is very friendly.

If only I could still play as good as I did before!

The train this time was relatively new and seemed more high tech.
(Free wifi with registration and power outlet)

Some passengers were simply chatting too loud and too much...

One older gentleman talked continuously for like an hour.  
I couldn't take it anymore and moved spots, only to be near two girls who were doing the same lol

Beautiful weather and a grateful me.


Arrived at the city centre, which was just a 15-minute walk from the train station.

I had to look for food first.

"Lambs of Sheep Street" has one of the highest ratings on Google, so here I was!


Slow-roasted Lamb Shank £16.75
with creamed potato, vine tomatoes and rosemary jus

I don't really eat lamb, but it was a cold windy day.
On my way here and back, I saw many sheep in the fields and thought they looked super cute.
Then I felt very complicated having ate lamb for lunch... 


In the city centre, there was a big open green space for people to chill. 

This canal runs along side that space.


There were many food trucks and boats selling snacks and drinks.

Many people were eating ice cream.
I don't know how they do it, because it was a little chilly today >_<

But later, I bought the Cadbury Creme Egg McFlurry too hahaha!




Inside there're the Royal Shakespearean Theatre and the Swan Theatre.
("Death of a Salesman" was on, but having read the play and watched the movie, I decided to pass.)



Just makes you want to rent a boat and row, no?




The colours of spring :)

The Holy Trinity Church, where Shakespeare's grave is.

At the end there lies his grave.



Shakespeare's daughter and her husband's home.


Peter the Rabbit!  

It was adorable to see that he has an official store!

See how windy it was?

The entrance to Shakespeare's birthplace.

His birthplace.  

I didn't have enough time to go in for a proper tour.



This private market made me thought of Cirque du Soleil (hint: the tarps).

3:37pm, I hopped onto the returning train.

Tired, but not hungry.

The train back was a direct one and it took a little more than two hours.

I've noticed that the train conductors often apologize for running one or two minutes late.
They also give the reason(s) and the cause(s) for delays.  How thoughtful!

Stratford-Upon-Avon is a gorgeous little town worth visiting.

Next weekend I'm travelling out of the UK!
I don't do that too often because it's a hassle getting to the airport and having to pack.

No comments :

Post a Comment