Friday 17 April 2015

British Library, St. Pancras & King's Cross (Blimey, Harry Potter?!)

Last November, I announced that I will be relocating to London.

Actually at that point, I wasn't even sure if my visa application would be approved.
I just assumed it would. 

Sometimes I think courage and risk-taking are only divided by a fine line.

Since then, it has been 4.5 months.

I've told my mom I feel only bliss and luckiness in life now.

For today's blog, I want to introduce you to the St. Pancras/King's Cross area - starting with the British Library.



The exhibition on right now: Magna Carta

What is it?
Here is a brief description I took from the official website.

Let us take you back to medieval England. It’s the year 1215, and the ruler is King John. Many people believe that King John was one of the worst kings in history. He imprisoned his former wife; he starved his opponents to death; he allegedly murdered his own nephew, and pulled the beards of the Irish Chiefs.
King John had imposed heavy taxes on his barons in order to pay for his expensive foreign wars. If they refused to pay, he punished them severely or seized their property. The barons demanded that King John obey the law; when he refused, they captured London and John was forced to negotiate.
The two sides met at Runnymede in June 1215. The result of the negotiations was written down by the king’s clerks in the document we know as Magna Carta. Although most of the charter’s clauses dealt with medieval rights and customs, Magna Carta has become a powerful symbol of liberty around the world.
 The main entrance - not the most extravagant.

I guess you can say it's a down to earth kinda library.


This bookcase is probably my favourite part of the whole library.



Almost right opposite of the British Library, there is the St. Pancras International Station.


Passing through St. Pancras, you'll see King's Cross right on the other side.

Platform 9 3/4 is not inside the real platforms.

Instead, it's to the left of the schedule displays.
(I remember when I was here in 2012, the trolley was empty.)

To the left of Platform 9 3/4, you can visit the merchandise store.

I find the quality of the items in this store trumps the Warner Bros' Studio's and Oxford University gift store's.

If you are not in a rush, look up!

In 2012, I did ask one of the station staff "Excuse me, where is Platform 9 3/4?"

Trust me, it sounded more stupid than I imagined.

I couldn't understand why so many people stand around, staring at the screens.

Later when I was doing that, I realized we were all waiting for platform number announcements.


The real platforms. The ones HP filmed on definitely seemed longer!

Wicked photo with a moving person while I do my pano shot.



It was a beautiful and warm day.

I had to selfie before dashing to Hyde Park for an evening walk :)

No comments :

Post a Comment